The castle and its park were truly representative of the French Style during the 18th century. In the 19th century, the park was completely reorganized to be more in tune with the times and became an English style park : beautifying the century-old trees and the slowly descending valley, introducing flower trees (rhododendrons, hydrengias, acacias, …).
The castle’s park and scenery are now privileged to be listed in the French Monuments Historiques as is the 18th century cottage, called the gardener cottage, that one can find in the upper part of the park.
Near the lake, in the lower part of the Parc, one can find another incredible element : a celtic path called “allée des Cartésières”, originally a tomb, more than 2.000 years old. It is also listed and we can find mentions of this celtic path in 19th century historical books.
Sadly, the castle was destroyed in a blaze in 1916 and never rebuilt. When the last Earl de Rougé died, his heir, the Earl Charles-Edouard de Miramon Pesteils had a very clear vision of the 20th century leisure society and decided to transform the property into a wildlife and natural park (1971). First named Eden Parc, it evolved to become simply the Parc de St Symphorien des Monts.
The Parc was open to the public between 1971 and 1999; it was regularly improved with new rare animals, new flowers and plantation and it became a well known place for nature lovers. When Earl Charles-Edouard de Miramon Pesteils died, his widow countess Albane de Miramon Pesteils took over the project and continued his work until 1999.
Dec. 26, 1999 was the Parc’s last good day. On that date, France experienced a dramatic storm and it destroyed a lot of the park’s beauties :